On April 28, 2021, the University of Toronto and the Division of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation invited experts from Canada’s biomanufacturing and bioinnovation industry and research communities to come together to discuss actions that will modernize and increase the capacity of the sector. Participants developed recommendations on how to support an ecosystem that will advance Canadians’ health security, academic-industry partnerships and economic competitiveness.
These measures include:
1. Build a technically proficient and collaborative talent base.
2. Optimize digital infrastructure to accelerate commercialization.
3. Invest in modular, flexible biotechnology infrastructure.
4. Facilitate transfer of technology and highly-qualified personnel through strong industry partnerships.
5. Establish regulatory frameworks that support innovation.